Tuesday, January 13, 2009

They Would Be Happy For Input From You...

It was just verified today for me that it is mostly married people who are in charge of our singles program. This is part of the actual email I received:

"Please contact committee members with your ideas. They would be happy for the input from you. Many of the committee members are married couples. We sure could use some input from actual single adults. Thank you."

If this does not fill you will a desire to speak up and never stop speaking until you are heard, then we are all lost.

I believe WE (you and me) are accountable for the singles program just as much as those who are stewards over it. If we are silent, if we do not open up and let someone in, we will remain in this lonely cold state we find ourselves in at present.

Singles have enough problems, take care of the ones you can. Open up and talk to people. Maybe someone you talk to will not seem interested but you will have planted a seed. And others will hear.

I am tired of caring about this stupid program which enslaves us to the past. I hesitate to say this, but I will anyway. I have noticed how many of the stories given in talks are about many years ago. They happened before I was even born. Times are changing and they changed before today. I deal with problems someone only 10 years older could never have imagined. I am looking for current help. Days gone by are just that: GONE! Old war stories are nice for feel good stuff, but they are not quite applicable today. This program is still in the past (platform from the 70's) and it will stay there as long as people in charge direct it from their naive position. If you do not educate them of the truth out there, then you are not doing what is required and no amount of faith will get you where you want to be. This applies to many areas of our lives, but I speak specifically of many who are lonely and want a companion and of the LDS Middle Singles Program.

Make a decision to be less acquiescent and speak out. I have repeated myself for a reason, now go and repeat yourself over and over until you are heard. Give them your input. They want it. They need it. "Faith without works is dead" is a familiar quote. Do the work: Speak.

2 comments:

Notes From The Glass Ceiling said...

Very good post here. I just wish that it could be said over the pulpit at the conference center. Until we realize that this archaic program needs a complete makover...not to mention a team of experts to figure out what went wrong and what to do about it, I am afraid we will ultimately be "arranging deck chairs on the Titanic."

Unknown said...

I do realize you guys want to hear from single people. I however am not. I'd like to say that you can live for years in a marriage and still be and feel single. Loveless marriages are everywhere. I've been watching people in every situation married/single/divorced or those young people just starting out. The fact is, we all end up feeling the same. Truely. My only consolation is this, since these things I have witnessed to be true, you better enjoy the journey! and if your not, take a different path. I think that satans mission, no matter your status, is to steal the joy from your every day life. DO NOT LET HIM. God is the one that brings wholeness to your life. The people around you are there to enhance it not make or break it, unless you let them. Enjoy people!