Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Dance. (Or Was It?)

My daughter went to a dance for the Young Men/Young Women the other night. She came home and was telling me about it when I interrupted and asked for clarification. I asked how many times she was asked to dance. Once. And it was the last dance by a non-member. I joked and told her she was well on her way to knowing how it would be at a Singles Dance when she grew up: Getting dressed up pretty, spending your time “listening” to the music, hanging out with your “girl” friends. Not getting asked to dance. Not spending time getting to know how to act in any normal way with a boy at all. Not telling jokes and making someone of the opposite sex laughing so you may gain confidence in your ability to attract.

I was devastated.

I have wondered how we came to be at this point; in our world, in our church. I remember my mother telling me stories about how much fun it was to go dancing and roller skating and how guys asked her to dance all the time and she flirted like mad with them. She was beautiful and she felt it. I guess you could say that sometime in the 60's, (probably in direct correlation to the “women's movement”,) it all fell apart. Women wanted to be treated as equals, (not the same,) but somehow it all became warped. Now we must reap the limited harvest of such events.

This is a touchy subject. So what. It's not like I leave anything alone, do I? I am not against the movement and I am not thinking women need to be put in their place. Quite the contrary. I believe that the eternal roles of man and woman need to be learned here on earth. In fact, the same daughter who went to the dance asked me what our Mother in Heaven's role was. Such deep thought from someone so young should not astonish us. I was unable to give her a clear answer, but she summed it up herself and said, “She loves and teaches us.” Such simple words for such profound subject matter.

Too often, in general, we as Children of God give up too easily and put up with too much. The adage: “how much crap you put up with is exactly how much you will get” is profound. It involves great anger, indignation and tough words. However, the opposite which involves being cowed, brow-beaten, demeaned and made fun of is equally profound and requires consideration. Neither tells the whole story, you see. Both are one-sided and highly prejudicial. Neither involves love and forgiveness. Neither is meek and submissive or long-suffering. Neither gets to the real problem which is that we all have pain in our hearts which hurts us all the time and needs to be healed. Neither attitude gets you more friends. You may say being cowed is being meek, but it is not. Meekness is strength in character and has integrity. Being brow-beaten is not submissive, it is abuse. We constantly accept fake pearls for the real thing.

Back to the dance. I will let my daughter go to these simple dances and let her see for herself just how correct I am in my opinion of them. She must learn for herself that there is little out there for members of the church in regards to our eternal progression. (By that I mean getting married.) She will learn for herself that issues are never addressed. Problems never fixed. Boys and girls always hide out in the corner or only dance with the “model” people. If you speak out against the system, you are brow-beaten into submission. And finally, if you want to get married, there most certainly has to be a better way to do it than going to a Singles dance on Friday night. Amen!

No comments: