Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pollyanna! Come Out And Play!

Contrary to popular opinion, there are great and wonderful things about being single. Let's start with how you get to all ways control the remote. (I mean, this is very important.) Plus, you are completely in charge of all financial decisions; making it, spending it, borrowing it. You can sleep on either side of the bed, roll around, and not bump into anyone else. You get to get up in the morning and no one is bothered by your morning breath. When you are going anywhere, you do not have to put up with people telling you to hurry because you will be late. In fact, if you are late, no one really cares.

When you want something exciting to do, there is the local Singles Program for great and exciting activities. Once a month you can go to the dance provided. Now, this is good stuff. Sometimes you have to drive a bit to get there if you do not live in the “big city” because frankly, not enough people know about this fantastic event, so they are kind of limited on where they have it. (Kind of like they get together at the beginning of the year, set the dates down for the 4th Saturday of the month, alternating between two locations if you are lucky, and it's done. Great planning.) Anyway, once you are there, you get to meet the most special people. The cream of the crop, so to speak.

Oh, I forgot the best part! Compared to your local clubs, this dance is quite the deal at only $3! Get outta here! I mean they play all the good music from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. How can you pass this up? (I heard once that they actually had some music from the 80's once but had to get special permission for it, so, keep praying for it to happen again next spring!)

One of the most special things for me is knowing that I can go with my grandma to these things. Quite the bonding experience for us. Going out, checking out the local meat available, comparing notes and making bids. Okay, my grandma does not go with me, but technically she could. She's single and so am I. We are both over 30, so it works. Right?

I just love the food. No I don't. Not really. I lied there. Sorry.

Next we have the monthly fireside. Now, these are very important so put them on your calendar once you get the email telling you the date and time. I mean, the spiritual messages provided just change my life. And knowing I am in a room full of people who are single like me, hearing this beautiful message, well I just do not feel so alone in the world. And then we get cookies afterwards.
I do not let it bother me that men get to see me eating a bunch of cookies that late at night, right before I go to bed. It's what we do at all of our meetings: eat. (I heard someone mention how Mormons are in general more overweight than the average American, but I think they are just jealous of the truth and light we have and made it all up!)

I love going to the temple with the singles, too. I think it is the only time that the women actually sit on the mens side because so many came. Kind of sad that only 8 guys come in comparison to those 80 women. And afterwards, (at 10 pm again,) a few people go out for more food. But this time they have to pay for it at the restaurant. I have done that a few times. It is hard to have a conversation with anyone because it is noisy, you only sit by a few people, and the ratio of women to men makes me simply find a new girlfriend. But, I have done my temple service and participated in the Singles Program as directed by the leadership, therefore, I go home happy.

I left the best for last: the Singles Conference. It's the best because it only happens once a year and they advertise it for like six months, telling you to “mark your calendar” and remember the dates, etc. These things are set up on a general Friday night, Saturday schedule. The last Friday night I went to, they had games planned, like the ones they tell you to play at reunions. The “get to know you” type. Wow. Bet they find them on the internet. I wish I could think up these things. Then Saturday you have maybe a service project, then classes on how to manage your finances, do family history or how to effectively study the scriptures. Very helpful indeed. Then dinner. Yum. I know you might think Mormons only eat, but I assure you, it is not true. Then maybe something that would fall in line with the fireside theme is provided. All of this is leading up to the greatly anticipated.........DANCE!

Yes, friends and neighbors, they combine the best of both worlds at the conference! Fireside and dancing! Woah. We are truly blessed to be members of this community, let me tell you. And I love how they take the food from the whole day and recycle it into the goodies provided at the dance; very frugal. The best thing about the conference dance is that you are almost guaranteed to have more people show up this time. People are more willing to go to a conference and stay for a dance than they are to just go to a dance. So, you might actually meet someone you have never met before. Hey, stranger things have happened. It is a very spiritual and uplifting experience and I for one am glad to be a part of it.


It kind of rounds out my whole life of being single. I get the remote, the dances, and the bed, all to myself. And if I ever feel lonely, I just go to the fridge and medicate the feeling away.

No comments: