Sunday, July 27, 2008

Is it Really Possible to Date Non-Members?

How is it done? I mean really. How can a temple endowed single member of the Church really have a relationship with a non-member?
For me, experience has dictated that sex-before-marriage is, more or less, a requirement within a matter or months (or weeks) in such a relationship. And just as often, the subject of marriage comes up simultaneously whenever sex is brought up...which inevitably brings up the word "marriage" way too quickly. Either situation usually stops the show right there.
I am wondering what other singles' experiences are in such relationships, and how it they can be done with success. I am also interested in your dating and relationship disasters from such pairings. Personally, I have never been able to sustain a relationship with a non-member for more than a few months for reasons stated above.

2 comments:

susanne pappan said...

I know this post is not meant to be funny, but I think we need to look at this very real dilemma with a sense of humor or we would just be depressed.

I laughed, knowing exactly waht you are talking about. How is it possible? If we found a non memeber who would be willing be supportive on the wait til you get married for sex issue, then..how long would they wait? Most of the men I have met who would be willing, want to get married way too fast. Red Flag.
Others believe that having sex is how you get to know each other better (true) and would never consider even considering marriage with someone they have not had sex with.
I don't know the answer.
I live in a very small rural area where the nearwst stake singles activities are over 125 miles away. The single people in my ward are: 2 widows in their 70's or 80's. One several times married in the temple and divorced as many,who is a workaholic and woman hater. One single sister in her late 60's and me.
Got any suggestions on singles activities for me? LOL.

glass ceiling said...

You might move (as if you have never heard that one.) I don't know. All I can say is that you are one valiant woman. I should be asking you how YOU do it. I live in a fairly large city, and the whole thing seems no easier. You humble me.
The online game is as risky as anything else, and is often expensive in money and time. (Although I have heard of a few success stories.)
I was having dinner at a cafe with a few single women I know the other night, and one of them suggested the "Flirt to Convert" Program. As in date him until he converts, then marry him before he dries off from the baptism. What do you think of that?