Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Storms of Life

Sometimes God calms the storm. And sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms the child. -Author Unknown


I think of how often this sentiment has been true in my life. Sometimes, when my heart hurt so much I thought it just might be possible to die of a broken heart, I found my pain lifted. And other times, danger all around me, I walked in a bubble, safely unaffected, nothing touching me. I have felt the Lord come and literally rescue me from danger on more than one occasion.

Too often I have to remind myself that this life is a test. Each and every day I must retake the exam; no matter how I did the day before. It is never ending and often tiresome. I said once that there just are not enough sunrises in my life. (I was speaking of beauty.) It seemed that the good was hardly ever there. Suddenly, I was noticing in books, movies, and in every day conversations just how hard life can be for everyone.

And then I realized an amazing thing for me: my heart was broken. Not in grief over the loss of a loved one either in death or breakup. The heartache I had was all encompassing. My heart wept for all things which were not pleasing unto God. My own sins and the atrocities around me. I wept for it all. As soon as I discovered this I began to feel good about myself. I had made a great achievement. Not quite a heartbeat after that thought came another: contrite spirit. I realized I had only gotten half way so far. Ever eager to take on more than I can chew, I decided to have a go at it and asked the Lord's help in getting there all the way, as you may say.

I never learn. I know from experience that next on the agenda is a general falling apart of my life, followed by a series of intense homework assignments, coupled with a physical ailment or two for good measure. I really cannot complain too much. I did ask for it. I just wish the Lord was not so predictable sometimes and surprised me with a “freebie” every now and again. Well, in all honesty, He does. Just not on the really “big” stuff, like helping me not be so full of pride or making me more loving towards my fellow men. (We do have this running joke about street lights between the two of us, however.) I equate these small favors to landing on “Free Parking”, just after someone else took all the money lying there.

At moments like that in my life, when grief and despair are my companions, when tears well up in my eyes, He comes. He doesn't always take the hurt or the problem away, but He comes. We have a relationship. We are friends. We argue. Okay, I argue. But we love each other deeply, and that is what matters. So, the storms can rage all they want around me. I reside safe in my Fathers arms.

4 comments:

susanne pappan said...

Beautiful Post.

glass ceiling said...

Susanne, thank you. We have just started out, and would love to hear more of you and how you feel about the current state of affairs for Singles in the Church.

susanne pappan said...

I am happy to give my opinions...tho you may want to proof read them and approve them as to whether they are appropriate to what you want first:)
I have some very strong opinions.
I feel the current state for singles is well, insulting most of the time and worthless the rest.

glass ceiling said...

Oh,how refreshing a good dose of honesty can be! Your comments are welcome here. Absolutely. Please, the floor is yours....